Sunday, November 25, 2012

Preparation & Interview Report & Interview Transcript for the third interview


Preparation for the third interview
Kelly was my classmate in psychology class. I asked her if she has time to do an interview with me and she welcomed to me. The first question for her was about the questions those I have. I showed her the questions, and we arranged the time and place. The place was the library. We reserved a room and I brought my phone as well. Additionally, she was active and we started.

Interview report for the third interview
            Because Kelly was active during the interview that is made me comfortable more than the fir tans second interview. I was not nerves anymore, also I was listening for her and prepared already for the next question at the same time better than the two interviews I did before. I think as more I can do interviews as I can learn from my mistakes. Moreover, this experience made it easier for me to talk with American people than before.


                                                  Interview transcript for the third Interview

Interviewer: Hi, how are you today?
Kelly: Hi, I am good.
Interviewer: would you mind to tell us your name?
Kelly: I am Kelly Beckius.
Interviewer: nice to meet you Kelly.
Kelly: nice to meet you too.
Interviewer: Are you ready for the questions?
Kelly: yep.
Interviewer: What is the value of family in your country?

Kelly: Family is very important here. It is central to our lives.
Interviewer: What is your family structure like? (head of house, values, etc.)

Kelly: My family structure was strange. My mom worked a couple of jobs at a time and took care of all of the expenses while my dad did his own thing but never really made the money.  My mom had most of the authority.
Interviewer: What is your role in your family?
Kelly: I am the youngest of 3 children. I don’t really have any specific role to fill. I suppose there is an expectation for me to go to school and be smart.
Interviewer: as you know some things about any other culture, how is it different from American culture?

Kelly: America is an interesting place because it has so many cultures mashed up into one country. I don’t really know of any specific differences from other countries right now.
Interviewer: What are the highlights in your culture? (What things will make people immediately think about your country? Please tell more about its history)
Kelly: Sadly, I feel a lot of people look at America in a negative way with obesity, reality TV, and our politics. That’s probably what comes to mind when people think of America.
Some positive highlights could be the entertainment industry and ability to get rich. We make a lot of movies!
Interviewer: What programs do you like to watch?
Kelly: I like watching shows like The Big Bang Theory, Dirty Jobs, Happy Endings. I like comedies and shows with smart humor. I do not like watching things like Here Comes Honey-Boo-Boo.
Interviewer: What is your favorite kind of music to listen to and why?
Kelly: I love rock, alternative, and indie music. Bands like Mumford and Sons, Imagine Dragons, Death Cab for Cutie, Dave Matthews Band, and Incubus.
Interviewer: What is the most famous food in your country?

Kelly: Probably the hamburger and French fries right now. Americans love their fast food!
Interviewer: What are your meals like? Size, number, times of day.

Kelly: I eat 3 medium sized meals, and maybe 2 or 3 snacks through the day. I like to eat every three hours or so.
Interviewer: What kind of food is your favorite?
Kelly: I love fruits and vegetables. Salads and raw fruit are my favorites. I also eat a lot of pasta and cheese.
Interviewer: What is the education system in your country?

Kelly: We start school around the age of 4 with preschool, then at 5 or 6 we start kindergarten. We then go to first grade, then all the way up to twelfth grade when we graduate high school (age 18). After high school, we can choose whether we want to continue to college.  Kindergarten through twelfth grade is free and public. All children have to attend school, but college is a choice.
Interviewer: Do a lot of people get a chance to attend college in your country?

Kelly: Our government gives students the option of taking out loans to fund their schooling so getting into college is not hard to do. We have a lot of technical two year schools that are affordable and easy to attend.
Interviewer: Is there an exam for everyone graduated from high school to enroll to the university?
Kelly: A lot of colleges require a student to take either the ACT or the SAT test to see whether they can go to certain colleges. Usually four year universities require this test, but you can get into the technical colleges without the test scores.
Interviewer: what are the top three social pastimes? (Sports, group events, various activities)

Kelly: For the whole country, probably football, drinking, and hanging out with friends and family in any situation.
Interviewer: What are the different religions your country? And what is the predominant religion?

Kelly: America pretty much has every religion. There are many western religions like Islam, Judaism, and Christianity, but also eastern religions like Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism, and Taoism. There are even ones like Scientology. The predominant religion is Christianity.
Interviewer: What is the favorite vacation for America?
Kelly: I don’t know…there are a lot of good places. Mainly, a lot of Americans like to get on the road and just travel to the different states to see what’s there. In the winter, Americans are very fond of Mexico.
Interviewer: What places can new visitors go to in Minnesota?
Kelly: Minneapolis is the main attraction for Minnesota. Also, Duluth to see Lake Superior, and the river bluffs of the St. Croix river.
Interviewer: Where do you like to spend your free time?
Kelly: At home and wherever my family is.
Interviewer: What recommendations can you give to people who are on their first visit to America?
Kelly: Depends on where they are. America is very different depending on which state you are in. If you were coming to Minnesota first I would say to either bring a jacket or bug spray depending on the season.
Interviewer: What are some holidays that you celebrate in America and how do you celebrate them?

Kelly: Thanksgiving in November, Americans like to make a lot of food and get together with family to show what they are thankful for in their lives.
Christmas in December, we like to buy presents for those we care about and exchange the gifts on either Christmas Eve or Christmas day. There is usually a lot of food involved and blinking lights and evergreen wreaths. Oh, we also put up a pine tree in the living room and decorate it with lights and ornaments. Christians believe this day to be the day Jesus was born.
Interviewer: Thank you to let me know your opinion and for your time, do you want ask about anything?
Kelly: that’s ok I do not have anything to ask.  

 The person I interviewed:
Kelly Beckius

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment