Sunday, October 21, 2012

the Interview that I did with an American person



Interviewer: hi, how are you today?
Kandies: hi, I’m pretty good.
Interviewer: I have some questions for you I want to ask you about.

Kandies: okay, I am ready to answer.
Interviewer: first of all, what is the value of family in your country which is the U.S.A?
Kandies: I think that our country values individualism over family. I think that many times a person will put themselves and their goals before their family.

Interviewer: What is your family structure like? (head of house, values, etc.)
Kandies: My family structure is very traditional. My father is the head of the house and though my mom works, he still makes the most money and handles finances. My mother usually does all of the cooking and cleaning and took care of my brothers and me when we were younger. Also, I like to help my mother. My parents value family a lot and think that it is important to spend time with them as much as possible.

Interviewer: You know a lot about Saudi culture, how is it different from American culture?


Kandies: I think that the largest difference is that American culture is based on freedom and individualism where Saudi culture is based on Islam and what is written in the Quran. Also, Saudi culture revolves a lot around family and many people put family as first in their lives instead of themselves.
Interviewer: What are the highlights in your culture? (What things will make people immediately think about your country? Please tell more about its history)

Kandies: hmm, I think that most people think about Hollywood and glamour when they think about America… Many movies come from here or are produced here as well as many celebrities are from here. I think that a lot of people think America is the land of the free and many people here can do whatever they want and not have to answer to anyone.
In reality, American history is extremely distorted from what we as Americans are taught in school. We stole our country form other people and have discriminated against every other race except whites since our first days here.

Interviewer: What programs do you like to watch?
Kandies: hmm, I don’t watch a lot of television, but when I do I like to watch news shows that talk about what is happening around the world. I also like to watch shows that are on the HGTV station because they are crafting and making things and that is something I like to do in my spare time.

Interviewer: What is your favorite kind of music to listen to and why?
Kandies: I like to listen to a variety of music but I think that I mostly listen to country music. I grew up listening to it and the lyrics in the songs are relatable to my life. I also like to listen to classical music when I am stressed or when I have a lot of homework to do. It is a very relaxing and I can feel motivated and relaxed when I listen to it.

Interviewer: What is the most famous food in your country?
Kandies: well, I think that the most common food in America is the burger. There are a lot of variations of it here but everywhere you go you can get one.

Interviewer: What are your meals like? Size, number, times of day.


Kandies: I think that people in America eat a lot of food that is quick and easy that they can take on the go. I don’t think many people sit down for meals that they prepared themselves anymore. Also, I think that a lot of people eat when they have time and not when they are hungry.
Interviewer: What kind of food is your favorite?

Kandies: actually, I have two favorite foods. The first is called hamburger gravy over rice and my mom used to make it for me when I was a child. The other favorite is Kabab, but it is a Middle Eastern dish and not American.

Interviewer: What is the education system in your country?
Kandies: The education system in America is set up to be flawed. Many people have the misconception that we have a good system that prepares children for their future and gives them the tools they will need to succeed. In reality, many children are in classes that are so focused on standardized testing and moving kids from grade to grade, that they do not receive the proper education that they need to succeed.

Interviewer: Do a lot of people get a chance to attend college in your country?
Kandies: I think that people who are in a good socioeconomic situation are able to attend college but for the average American citizen, I think that finding the funds and a school willing to accept them is difficult because school that are well know and have some of the best programs in the country, are extremely expensive.

Interviewer: Is there an exam for everyone graduated from high school to enroll to the university?

Kandies: People who want to go to college take a test that is the SAT or the ACT. It tests your overall knowledge of different subject areas and lets colleges know if you are “intelligent” enough to attend their university.

Interviewer: what are the top three social pastimes? (Sports, group events, various activities)
Kandies: hmm, One big social past time in America is football, going to games, watching it on t.v., and betting with other people about the outcomes of a game. Another is social media like Facebook, tumbler, and pint rest. I think that another social pastime is eating at restaurants with friends or family.

Interviewer: are the different religions in your country? And what is the predominant religion?
Kandies: Because America is a salad bowl of cultures, we have many of the religions from around the world here.  I think that the largest practiced religion is Christianity.

Interviewer: What is the favorite vacation for America?
Kandies: I think that the favorite vacation places in America would have to be Disney land in Florida, New York, Hawaii, and California.

Interviewer: What places can new visitors go to in Minnesota?
Kandies: well, I think that the most common place to visit in Minnesota is the Mall of America. I also think that people enjoy going to resorts of lakes for vacations in the summer.

Interviewer: Where do you like to spend your free time?
Kandies: I like to spend my free time reading a book or relaxing outside where there is nature around me. I also like to spend some time with friends exploring new places or activities.

Interviewer: What recommendations can you give to people who are on their first visit to America?
Kandies: I would tell people to go out and experience things on their own and not to believe all of the hype about what they media says about America. Form your own opinions and make choices about how you want to perceive the country.

Interviewer: What are some holidays that you celebrate in America and how do you celebrate them?
Kandies: The most commonly celebrated holiday in America, to me, is Christmas. People usually celebrate this by getting together with family and exchanging presents. Another holiday that is celebrated is Independence Day or the fourth of July. This day is celebrated with fireworks and gathering to celebrate “our” nations birthday.

Interviewer: at the end, I enjoyed about what you said and I am happy to give me some more information than what I have, also, there are more delicious dishes in Meddle East you can try them and I think you will love them.
Kandies: yep, I’ll tell my friends to cook more for me to try.

 
The person I interviewed:
Kandice Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment